1070 The Game is bringing back high school sports broadcasts from the past few years to run Wednesday nights at 6 p.m. through mid-June, continuing its High School Classic Game of the Week series through what would have been the scheduled high school sports season.
Each feature will be narrated by Jimmie Kaska and will replay the bulk of each original radio broadcast as heard on 1070 The Game and iHeartRadio (or on iHeartRadio from another market), with slight edits made to fit the two-hour runtime. Each show will run from 6 until 8 p.m. on 1070 AM and 1070thegame.com, as well as the free iHeartRadio app.
Originally, only 2019-2020 contests were scheduled, and those games will continue through the end of April:
- March 25: In a showdown of eastside rivals in boys basketball, Madison East upends then-undefeated Madison La Follette in overtime, 90-85. (Original Air Date: February 21, 2020)
- April 1: DeForest snaps Waunakee’s 34-game conference winning streak in football on senior night and wins the Badger North 35-13. (Original Air Date: October 18, 2019) – with Mike Stassi
- April 8: The top two teams in girls basketball in the state went head-to-head, with Middleton avenging an earlier loss to Madison Memorial 77-68 (Original Air Date: January 31, 2020) – with Norbert Durst
- April 15: Verona dominated the first three quarters, but Madison Memorial made an improbable rally, scoring as time expired to walk off winners on Homecoming, 27-24 (Original Air Date: September 28, 2019) – with Mike Stassi
- April 22: Surging Madison La Follette, newly-named #1 in the state in hoops, rallies to score a huge win over Sun Prairie on the road in Big 8 play, 83-76 (Original Air Date: January 7, 2020)
- April 29: Mike Minick, DeForest go for two and the win, 8-7 over Menasha, in the Division 3 state football championship game (Original Air Date: November 22, 2019) – with Mike Stassi, Brad Murphy, and Paul Junio
Seven games from 2016-2019 have been added to the schedule, which will wrap up June 17, during what would have been the final week of the high school sports schedule:
- May 6: Monona Grove pulls away at the end to down Stoughton for the outright Badger South boy's basketball title, 67-61. (Original Air Date: February 22, 2018)
- May 13: Madison West scores in the final seconds to upset Middleton in Level 2 of the Division 1 football playoffs, 30-27. (Original Air Date: October 27, 2017) - with Mike Stassi
- May 20: Monona Grove goes for two and the walk-off win over Waukesha West in Level 3 of the Division 2 football playoffs, 43-42 (OT). (Original Air Date: November 4, 2016) - with Knobby Kelliher
- May 27: Waunakee takes down Whitnall (led by future NBA Lottery Pick Tyler Herro) at the Wisconsin Basketball Yearbook Shootout. (Original Air Date: December 27, 2017)
- June 3: Lodi wins its first-ever title in football, defeating St. Croix Central in overtime of the Division 4 championship, 17-10 (OT). (Original Air Date: November 16, 2017) - with Mike Stassi
- June 10: Waunakee puts up five runs in the bottom of the sixth to move past Eau Claire North in Division 1 quarterfinal en route to first state baseball title, 12-8. (Original Air Date: June 12, 2018) - courtesy of WBIZ-Eau Claire
- June 17: Sun Prairie baseball falls to Eau Claire North in an all-time classic in the Division 1 baseball championship on late home run, 5-4. (Original Air Date: June 13, 2019) - courtesy of WBIZ-Eau Claire
Each Classic Game of the Week will be made available on the podcast page of 1070TheGame.com.
If the high school sports season resumes this spring, our lineup is subject to change.