With high school (and all) sports on hiatus, 1070 The Game management decided to go into the archives to find some of the top games from the 2019-2020 season to bring back every Wednesday night at 6 p.m. in what will be the High School Classic Game of the Week series!
Each feature will be narrated by Jimmie Kaska and will replay the bulk of each original radio broadcast as heard on 1070 The Game and iHeartRadio, with slight edits made to fit the two-hour runtime. Each show will run from 6 until 8 p.m. on 1070 AM and 1070thegame.com, as well as the free iHeartRadio app!
Here is the schedule for the Classic series:
- March 25: In a showdown of eastside rivals in boys basketball, Madison East upends then-undefeated Madison La Follette in overtime, 90-85. (Original Air Date: February 21, 2020)
- April 1: DeForest snaps Waunakee’s 34-game conference winning streak in football on senior night and wins the Badger North 35-13. (Original Air Date: October 18, 2019) – with Mike Stassi
- April 8: The top two teams in girls basketball in the state went head-to-head, with Middleton avenging an earlier loss to Madison Memorial 77-68 (Original Air Date: January 31, 2020) – with Norbert Durst
- April 15: Verona dominated the first three quarters, but Madison Memorial made an improbable rally, scoring as time expired to walk off winners on Homecoming, 27-24 (Original Air Date: September 28, 2019) – with Mike Stassi
- April 22: Surging Madison La Follette, newly-named #1 in the state in hoops, rallies to score a huge win over Sun Prairie on the road in Big 8 play, 83-76 (Original Air Date: January 7, 2020)
- April 29: Mike Minick, DeForest go for two and the win, 8-7 over Menasha, in the Division 3 state football championship game (Original Air Date: November 22, 2019) – with Mike Stassi, Brad Murphy, and Paul Junio
You can read the game recaps and hear the full broadcast by clicking below! Each two-hour special will also be available at 1070thegame.com.